For advice relating specifically to Windows 10, please go to the Windows 10 section of this website.
The websites listed below provide help and advice for beginners and for more experienced users in numerous areas of computing:
Top Windows Tutorials
This site has a large selection of tutorials relating to using Windows, using PCs, using the internet, online safety, backing-up, data privacy, multi-media, PC maintenance, Malware, and on a selection of specific Windows programs and services. The material available includes many free video tutorials on a variety of subjects, and also a selection of publications for purchase. You can also sign up for a monthly newsletter. These pages can be a useful place for browsing the material available on the site: Browse Site and Browse site categories.
- BBC Webwise home page
This page provides a portal to numerous articles discussing various aspects of modern computing, and the impact of the internet era on society, including topics such as Internet security; social networking and issues arising from it; being webcam-aware; games consoles; etc..
- WebWise resources directory
This provides links to a range of video and written guides to help you to get connected and develop the online skills to make the most of your mobile, tablet, computer or interactive television.
- Digital Unite: Unleash your digital talents
"Digital Unite is committed to, and passionate about, supporting people to have good digital skills – and to enjoy them and exploit them."
It has a Q & A Online Community "where community members and experts can ask and answer questions on technology in general, using the internet or the ins and outs of computer programmes"; and where you can read answers to previously asked questions.
It provides potential access to "tutors across the UK who can come to your home and give you some one-on-one computer tuition."
The website also provides numerous on-line guides for help and advice in the following categories:
- Computer basics — includes Getting started, Choosing a computer, Using a computer, Windows 8.
- Creating documents — includes Using WordPad, How to use Microsoft Word, Microsoft programs, Microsoft Excel.
- Email & Skype — includes Email, Skype, Webcams.
- Using the internet — includes Connecting to the internet, Searching & browsing, Storing favourite pages
- Hobbies & interests — includes Jobs & Careers, Activities & interests, Reading & learning, Games, Health & Fitness, Travel.
- Music & audio — includes Listening devices, iTunes, Spotify, Radio, audiobooks & podcasts.
- Smartphones & tablets — includes Smartphones, Tablet computers.
- TV & video — includes Getting set up for online viewing, YouTube, Online TV & films.
- Social networking & blogs — includes Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Google Plus, Pinterest, LinkedIn.
- Digital photography — includes Putting photos on to your computer, Editing photos, Sharing photos.
- Internet security — includes Identity theft & online safety, Anti-virus, Internet safety for kids.
- Shopping & banking — includes Bills & services, Online shopping, Online banking, Making & saving money online, Product reviews.